January 29, 2016

Sullivan Reports to House Education Committee

Montpellier (Jan 27) – Wednesday morning, the House Education committee sat down for their annual appropriations meeting with University of Vermont’s president, Tom Sullivan.

Sullivan at State House

President Tom Sullivan of UVM speaks to House Education committee on Wednesday, January 27th.

With standing room only, the committee members listened and watched as Sullivan gave a statistic-driven PowerPoint presentation urging representatives to increase state funding, telling them “This is a long term investment, not short.” Sullivan also noted Vermont currently ranks 49th in the country for State support of higher education.

Sullivan began the hearing by checking in with the members about the University’s new STEM building. Sullivan said the STEM facility is to be completed in 2017 and will be a “major economic driver for the state of Vermont through jobs and applied research.” UVM is partnering with Vermont State Colleges to propose two new programs. “This is about low-income and first generation Vermonters.” Sullivan explained. The Step Up program would target working age Vermonters to attend college with five free classes. The Complete College Vermont proposal would provide financial support for low income and first generation Vermonters. Sullivan says all State funding goes directly either to “Vermont student financial support or to UVM’s land grant mission.”

According to Sullivan, 91% of 2013-2014 UVM graduates are employed or enrolled in graduate school 1-year after graduation. Sullivan did not define employment. Of the employed, 64% of the Vermont graduates have stayed in the state.

With no time and lots of questions at the end, committee members inquired about Vermonters readiness for college in comparison to the out of state students. Sullivan was unsure but believes it to be “fine” and on par.